Youth LEAD, the Asia Pacific regional network of young key populations (YKP) with networking in 20 countries. We aim to empower young key populations through capacity building, advocacy, and the expansion of partnerships between local, national, and regional YKP organizations. We want to ensure more meaningful participation and involvement of YKP in all levels of decision making that impact their lives. In expanding our works, We are looking for applications to our new position as the Advocacy & Capacity Development Officer
The Advocacy and Capacity Development Officer will work to strengthen the Advocacy and Capacity development aspects of Youth LEAD. The work is divided to manage broader advocacy and capacity development activities and specific project based activities under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator. These projects are developed to work with adolescents (AKP) and young key populations (YKP) to HIV in Asia and the Pacific Region.
Advocacy and Networking
- Develop/ update Young Key Populations (YKP) specific message and identify advocacy target on Key Youth LEAD focal points countries / priority issues, with the support of Regional Coordinator
- Ensure that the voice of young key populations are tabled and made heard in different forums/meetings at different level.
- Identify and prioritize the advocacy agenda for AKP and YKP and formulate innovative strategies to materialize those agendas. This could be broader advocacy agenda and project specific agenda.
- Provide support to country level partners & technical support on advocacy strategies to Youth LEAD focal points.
- Liaise with various stakeholders and enhance the credibility of Youth LEAD by foster collaboration and partnership.
- Represent Youth LEAD in different forums and meetings at national and international level, if needed.
- Effectively manage networking with Youth LEAD country focal points and provide them with the required support
- Develop policy briefs, advocacy position papers and disseminate widely.
- Support to the Communication Officer to update Youth LEAD social media with related project achievements and others.
- Comprehend and manage the capacity development initiatives of Youth LEAD, particularly NewGen, TeenGen, Legal advocacy, the Global Fund and others.
- Identify and provide proper technic support to the capacity needs for the Youth LEAD focal points and offer proactive solutions.
- Engage in the capacity development manual development and revision as required and relevant.
- Organize interviews, press briefings, roundtable discussions, launches and other major Youth events for Youth LEAD to advocate for Youth LEAD positions and activities.
Program and Project Management
- Develop and lead the innovative programmes on Young Key Populations in the context of HIV, SRHR and Human Rights.
- Understand the nature of grants, country partners and donor requirements including the activities, objectives and outcomes of the existing project.
- Carry out the project activities as planned and as assigned to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Provide required technical support to the countries as planned.
- Monitoring visit to the countries as planned.
Qualifications and experience
- Must be under age of 28 when applying for the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, development studies, social work, project planning and other relevant subject and minimum two years of regional experience on advocacy and capacity development while 4-5 years of national experience.
- Prior experience working on HIV and young people at the international level is an asset but not mandatory.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
Knowledge and skills
- Have the ability to create partnerships within the project area.
- Knowledge on programming highly desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, a keen eye for details, good presentation and interpersonal skills and excellent report writing
- People management skills as well as mentorship experience and capability.
- Research skill to support the advocacy work.
Youth LEAD welcomes applications from all appropriately qualified young people under the age of 28. Young Key Populations and Young People living with HIV with required qualifications are particularly encouraged to apply. The opening is applicable to any potential candidates irrespective of nationality, race, gender and ethnicity.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria and the qualification are requested to send their updated CVs, motivation letter and salary expectation to email@example.com with subject “YL- Advocacy and Capacity Development” within February 15, 2018 before 12 midnight Bangkok time. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.